Hi mom! If you’ve been on the hunt for a flavorful, unique take on Jollof rice, then this “ala Listo” version might be just what you’re looking for. This traditional West African dish is a beloved staple in many homes, and our special “ala Listo” spin is sure to make it a favorite in yours as well. Let’s dive into the magic behind this dish!
- 2 cups long-grain parboiled rice
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, blended
- 2 red bell peppers, deseeded and blended
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken or tofu (optional for vegetarians)
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper (adjust to taste)
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preparation: Rinse the rice in cold water until the water runs clear. Drain and set aside.
- Pepper Mix: In a blender, blend the tomatoes, red bell peppers, and scotch bonnet pepper until smooth.
- Sauté Onions and Garlic: In a large pot or pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and minced garlic. Sauté until the onions become translucent.
- Add Tomato Blend: Pour in the blended tomato and pepper mix. Add thyme, bay leaves, curry powder, and smoked paprika. Allow the mixture to simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the oil begins to separate from the tomato blend.
- Rice Time: Add the rice to the pot, stirring well to ensure each grain is coated with the tomato blend.
- Add Broth: Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth, ensuring that the rice is fully submerged. Season with salt to taste.
- Simmer: Reduce heat to low, cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid, and let the rice cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Add Protein and Veggies: Once the rice is almost done, mix in the cooked chicken or tofu and the frozen peas and carrots. Cover and allow to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve: Once the rice is fully cooked and all the liquid has been absorbed, turn off the heat. Fluff with a fork and serve.
|Nutrient||Amount per Serving|
|Cholesterol||30mg (with chicken)|
And there you have it, Mom! The delectable Jollof Rice Recipe ala Listo. This recipe is perfect for family gatherings or just a regular dinner night. Enjoy your meal!