Broccoli, often deemed the crown jewel of nutrition, is a versatile vegetable that can be enjoyed in a myriad of dishes. One such dish is the refreshing and crunchy broccoli salad. This is a salad that is both nutritious and flavorful, a perfect addition to any meal or as a stand-alone snack.
- Fresh broccoli – 4 cups (cut into bite-sized florets)
- Red onion – ½ cup (finely chopped)
- Bacon – 6 strips (cooked and crumbled)
- Dried cranberries or raisins – ½ cup
- Sunflower seeds or chopped nuts (like almonds or walnuts) – ¼ cup
- Cheddar cheese – 1 cup (shredded)
- For the dressing:
- Mayonnaise – 1 cup
- Apple cider vinegar – 2 tablespoons
- Sugar – 2 tablespoons (you can adjust based on your preference)
- Salt – ¼ teaspoon
- Black pepper – ⅛ teaspoon
Step-by-Step Cooking Instructions:
- Preparation of Ingredients:
- Start by washing the broccoli thoroughly under cold running water.
- Chop the red onion finely.
- Cook the bacon until it’s crisp. Once done, let it cool and crumble it into small pieces.
- Making the Dressing:
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt, and black pepper until smooth.
- Assembling the Salad:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the broccoli florets, red onion, crumbled bacon, dried cranberries or raisins, and sunflower seeds or nuts.
- Pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture.
- Toss everything until all the ingredients are well coated with the dressing.
- Finishing Touches:
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese and give it a gentle mix.
- For best flavor, let the salad chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour before serving.
- Serve and Enjoy!
- After chilling, give it a quick toss before serving.
- This broccoli salad can be garnished with additional sunflower seeds or bacon bits for added crunch.
|Nutrient||Amount per serving (based on 6 servings)|
|Vitamin D||10% DV|
A broccoli salad is an excellent way to add a burst of nutrients to your meal. It offers a mix of textures and flavors, from the crunch of the broccoli and seeds to the creaminess of the dressing. Plus, it’s a dish that even those skeptical of broccoli can find irresistible. Enjoy it as a side or make it the star of your lunch or dinner table.