Under the supervision of the Lieutenant and Sergeant/Shift Supervisor, provides maximum protection for the safety and security of university and hospital personnel, patients, students, visitors and Jefferson assets. Performs security duties either at a fixed post, or on patrol or while making rounds of campus/hospital buildings and grounds. Checks for unauthorized persons, general security violations and fire or safety hazards. Capable of being assigned to any fixed post or patrol duties in any environment, and on any shift. Represents the university and hospital by giving directions or information when requested.
1. Interacts with co-workers, visitors, and other staff consistent with the values of Jefferson.
2. Performs security patrols at either fixed post or on patrol, including general security violations and fire or safety hazards. Verifies the appropriateness of persons on university/hospital campus by checking identification badges and escorting all unauthorized persons from campus as necessary.
3. Responds promptly to calls for service, including priority or serious incidents, problems or emergencies. Notifies supervisor (Sergeant or Lieutenant) of conditions. May be required to diffuse emergency situations with conflict resolution skills.
4. Investigates and documents reports on accidents, incidents or suspicious activities. Maintains daily patrol log during tours. Submits completed log to Sergeant/Shift Supervisor upon completion of tour. Provides follow-up information to Security Investigator and/or Lieutenant as directed.
5. Provides assistance to employees, students, patients, patient family and visitors as incidents occur, including security escorts upon requests.
6. Assist with campus parking issues; patrol parking lots and parking lot equipment.
7. Supports safety teams, including assisting the Trauma Team with the landing of helicopters and with fire-related emergencies. Enforces all No Smoking environments both inside and outside on the campus.
8. Performs other related security, safety and protection duties as assigned, including but not limited to the support loss prevention (i.e. inspecting deliveries and packages) and assisting with the training of new security staff as directed.
High School Diploma or GED equivalent required. PA only: Valid ACT 235 Certification required within 90 days of hire. Ability to function effectively with Microsoft desktop applications (i.e. Word, E-mail).
Must be able to understand all responsibilities and technology associated with the 24-hour Security Response Center (SRC). Must have completed all relevant Security Department training modules, and maintain all required training.
Related advanced training in Criminal Justice strongly preferred. Prior security, police or military experience is preferred. Experience in campus/hospital security, law enforcement, or other related Criminal Justice agencies strongly preferred.
Covid Vaccination is a requirement for employment at Jefferson for employees working at Jefferson’s clinical entities or at the University. If you are not currently vaccinated you will be required to receive the vaccination prior to hire date if you are offered employment, unless you request and receive an approved medical or religious exemption from Jefferson.
Jefferson includes Thomas Jefferson University and Jefferson Health, a dynamic university and health system with broad reach across the Delaware Valley. Jefferson is the second largest employer in Philadelphia and the largest health system in Philadelphia based on total licensed beds.
Through the merger of Thomas Jefferson University and Philadelphia University in 2017, our University includes ten colleges and four schools. We are an NCAA Division II university and an R2 national doctoral university offering undergraduate and graduate-level programs that provide students with a forward-thinking education in architecture, business, design, engineering, fashion and textiles, health, medicine and social science.
Jefferson Health, the clinical arm of Thomas Jefferson University, has grown from a three-hospital academic health center in 2015, to an 18-hospital health system through mergers and combinations that include hospitals at Abington Health, Aria Health, Kennedy Health, Magee Rehabilitation and Einstein Healthcare Network. We have over 50 outpatient and urgent care centers; ten Magnet®-designated hospitals (recognized by the ANCC for nursing excellence); the NCI-designated Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center (one of only 70 in the country and one of only two in the region); and one of the largest faculty-based telehealth networks in the country. In 2021, Jefferson Health became the sole owner of HealthPartners Plan, a not-for-profit health maintenance organization in Southeastern Pennsylvania. We are the first health system regionally to create an aligned payer-provider partnership.
Jefferson’s mission, vision and values create an organization that attracts the best and the brightest students, faculty, staff, and healthcare professionals, as well as the most visionary leaders to drive exceptional results.
OUR MISSION: We improve lives.
OUR VISION: Reimagining health, education and discovery to create unparalleled value
OUR VALUES: Put People First, Be Bold & Think Differently and Do the Right Thing
As an employer, Jefferson maintains a commitment to provide equal access to employment. Jefferson values diversity and encourages applications from women, members of minority groups, LGBTQ individuals, disabled individuals, and veterans.